U.S. Army Major General Boat Flag - Gen. Vincent Strong.
Wool boat flags like this were first authorized for the officers of the War Department's General Staff in 1923. Later smaller versions called automobile flags were authorized (see ZFC3279) in 1931. This boat flag was used by Brigadier General George V. Strong (1880-1946) who was a 1908 graduate of West Point.

A career army officer, he served with distinction in World War One, during which he was awarded the US Army's Distinguished Service Medal for his part in the assault on St. Mihiel. After the war, he served in a variety of staff and command positions, eventually attending the Command and General Staff School in preparation for his eventual assignment to the G-2 Division (Intelligence) of the General Staff and ultimately as Chief of War Plans Division. While heading this office, he was named and featured in Life Magazine, who called him one of the U.S. Army's Six Foremost Generals. It was during this time that he made use of this flag.

This flag was acquired as a part of a grouping of flags and uniforms of General George Strong. The companion pieces acquired are an additional Major General's flag (ZFC3277) and two flags, one auto (ZFC3279) the other personal, (ZFC3277) for a Brigadier General of the General's Staff Corp. Also acquired was his full dress uniform with tails, made by Joseph A. Wilner & Co. Washington, D.C.

The uniform jacket features velour cuffs with bullion oak leaves and Maj. Gen.'s stars on the sleeves (ZFC3291), the uniform's dress pants (ZFC3292), yellow general's sash (ZFC3291) and white gloves (ZFC3294). There is an officer's waist belt with 1872 pattern eagle plate by William Rowland, Philadelphia (ZFC3295). A pair of cavalry officers spurs (ZFC3296), and a high grade leather "Sam Browne" belt ZFC3297), a West Point cadet's bathrobe (ZFC3298) and a red officer's sash (ZFC3299).

Strong served as Assistant Chief of Staff of the United States Army before WWII and was the Commanding General of the VIII Corp from 1941-42 and served as Chief of Army Intelligence from 1942-1944 when he retired.

Provenance:
• Flag made by U.S. Army Philadelphia Quartermaster Depot, 1930s.
• Used by General George Veazey Strong, 1942 to 1944.
• Acquired by James Mountain, Ashburnham, MA.
• James Mountain Collection, until 2009.
• Sold via Alderfer Auction, to the Zaricor Flag Collection, 2009.


ZFC Significant Flag

Sources:



United States Army Historical Flags & Colors, Colors & Flags For Individuals, 1923-31 Regulations, War Flags Through the Ages & Around the World, 20 May 2012, from: http://tmg110.tripod.com/usarmyh7.htm

US Army Regulations No. 260-10, Flags, colors, standards, and Guidons: Descriptions and Use, Washington, DC. War Department, 1931. P.19.

George Veazey Strong, Wikipedia, 20 May 2012, from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Veazey_Strong

George V. Strong, Military Times: Hall of Valor, 20 May 2012, from: http://militarytimes.com/citations-medals-awards/recipient.php?recipientid=18227

Strong, George Veazey, Major General, Generals.dk ,The Generals of WWII, 20 May 2012,from: http://www.generals.dk/general/Strong/George_Veazey/USA.html

"These Are U.S. Army's Six Foremost generals." Life Magazine, 2 December 1940.pp 94-95.

Image Credits:
Zaricor Flag Collection